Dance Benefits the Brain!
The Einstein Aging Study, summarized in June 19, 2003 New England Journal of Medicine, found that dancing helps prevent dementia. Dementia in the study refers to both Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia.
The study included participants in 11 physical activities including team sports, swimming, bicycling and dance. Dance was the only physical activity that benefited the brain.
Benefits of Learning How to Dance
- Dance burns calories and builds strong bones
- Dance reduces stress
- Dance improves balance and posture
- Dance helps to foster a healthier lifestyle and stronger self esteem
- Dance provides an outlet for individual creativity
- Dance helps to develop social skills and improves mental health